A few weeks ago, we walked you through the VigLink Publisher Dashboard to help you discover, filter, and interpret your data. Today, we’re excited to show you how you can exert control over how VigLink behaves on your site via your Dashboard settings.
In particular, we want to focus on the tabs lining the top of the Dashboard:
Also from this page, you can use the “Check your installation” box to copy and paste your website’s URL and test to see if VigLink is present in your site’s source code.
Under Manage > Settings, you can modify settings for VigLink’s two main products: Convert and Insert.
- Reaffiliate Affiliated Links:
- What are its capabilities? If checked, this setting will reaffiliate already-affiliated Amazon and eBay links.
- Why would I use it? Many publishers use VigLink to centralize and aggregate their affiliate endeavors. If you’d like VigLink to handle your outbound clicks to Amazon and eBay (instead of continuing to go direct and having to manage multiple dashboards, reports, etc.), we’ve made it easy so you don’t have to go back through your content and remove affiliate parameters; instead, VigLink will simply override your existing affiliation.
- What about other merchants? Right now, VigLink only can override Amazon and eBay. We want you to be able to use VigLink as your performance marketing solution—but if you have preexisting affiliate relationships, we want you to be able to use both without worrying VigLink will take over those already-affiliated links.
- Link URLs:
- What are its capabilities? If checked, this setting will allow VigLink to link unlinked URLs.
- Why would I use it? Let’s say you wrote a book review on your blog and mentioned “barnesandnoble.com” as a merchant who carries the book—but you didn’t make it a hyperlink. VigLink wants to help you capture any purchase intent by turning that mention into “barnesandnoble.com.” If you have VigLink installed, this link would then affiliate via VigLink Convert.
- Optimize Links:
- What are its capabilities? If checked, our Link Optimization product may change the destination for a merchant link on your site in an effort to potentially bring your readers a better shopping experience, and you a higher likelihood for conversion and/or higher EPC. As an example, a link to a gadget on Best Buy might redirect to the same gadget on Newegg, or vice versa.
- Why would I use it? You’re interested in the potential benefits of Link Optimization, such as increased earnings. You can read more about Link Optimization in our Help Center guide.
- The only advanced setting for VigLink Convert is for Link URLs. You can dictate whether or not you want the unlinked URLs VigLink hyperlinks to open in the same browser window or a new window.
- Fine Tuning:
- What are its capabilities? Drag the circle along the scale if you want VigLink Insert to add only a few or the maximum amount of linked terms on your site.
- Automatic Disclosure:
- What are its capabilities? If checked, a “Link added by VigLink” tag will be added to your Insert links if a reader hovers their mouse over them, which aids you in following proper FTC disclosure guidelines.
- What are its capabilities? Several!
- Link Target: Specifies whether a clicked VigLink Insert link opens in the same browser window or a new window.
- Blacklist: Allows you to list out any terms you do not want to receive a VigLink Insert link, ever.
- This one warrants a: Why would I use it? Imagine you run a site dedicated to Wonder Woman, where you make frequent mention of her being a fierce Amazon. You probably don’t want VigLink Insert linking “Amazon” to Amazon.com in this context! Simply type “Amazon” into the box under Blacklist, and VigLink Insert won’t attempt to link it.
- Allowed Devices: Check the devices you want VigLink Insert to run on. If, for any reason, you don’t want Insert linking terms for tablet-users, simply uncheck the box next to “Tablet.”
- What are its capabilities? Several!
Last, but not least, you can update your personal and campaign information under Manage > Account.
- My Information: Change you personal details, such as mailing address, email address, password, etc. Perhaps most importantly, this is where you can update your PayPal email address to ensure you have the correct one on file for payments! Don’t forget to click “Save Changes” at the bottom when you’re done.
- My Campaigns: This provides you with an overview of all campaigns you’re running through VigLink. Maybe you have one for your website, one for your Twitter handle, and one for email correspondence. Click the “Edit” icon to the right of any one of your campaigns to change its name, category, type, and platform. Having these fields filled out is useful: Category helps VigLink Insert link terms appropriate to your site’s content. Platform ensures VigLink Insert behaves properly based on the platform your site is built on. If you’re a forum owner and you move from vBulletin to phpBB, you’ll want to change your platform to ensure VigLink Insert can continue operating without disruption.
- Refer and Earn: Did you know that if you help other publishers sign up for VigLink you collect 35% of VigLink’s portion of your referral’s commission for one year? It’s true! We’re happy to share as a thank-you for helping us partner with new publishers. Simply copy your unique referral link—this way we’ll know where credit’s due!
- Disclosure: This links you out to our disclosure information.
And there you have it! We hope we’ve empowered you to commence creating the VigLink experience that’s right for you and your readers!