We teamed up with Netpop and Sovrn to bring you the Fall 2014 Publisher Roundtable on monetization. The goal of this edition is to give publishers objective tools and insights they can utilize to make better-informed business and marketing decisions. During the two-month period the survey was live, 427 online publishers participated, including members of Publisher Roundtable as well as contacts from VigLink and Sovrn. Post survey, the Publisher Roundtable community now totals more than 700 publishers who have a combined 150 million uniques.In order to get the best understanding of how publishers can better monetize their content, we focused on nine key topics.
- Where to Begin aims to help publishers face fewer obstacles when they’re starting out and receive effective results in a timely manner. Additionally, it focuses on new publishers, as their experience is has greater relevance to those who are in the beginning stages of monetization.
- Getting to the Next Level informs publishers how they can improve their monetization strategy based on their size, experience level, and vertical.
- Picking a Partner details some of the ad networks available for partnership and why different publishers choose and more importantly, stick with them.
- Monetization Options explores how many tools you should use when monetizing your content and digs deeper into which options are most satisfying and generate the most revenue.
- Expectations vs. Reality takes a look at publishers’ initial expectations when they start monetizing and how those align with actual experience.
- Monetization Report Card gives publishers the chance to candidly grade themselves and the industry on monetization. Find out if publishers feel supported by the industry and if various publishers have different experiences and opinions.
- Non-Monetizers find out why certain publishers aren’t monetizing their sites, and if they’re considering monetization, which methods they are most interested in.
- Community Profile shows the stats of those who make up the Publisher Roundtable community.
- The Independent Web gives publishers who are looking to expand their reach additional topics for discussion that their audiences are likely to find interesting and relevant!
Written by Hanna Fritzinger